What is PIM?
PIM is the abbreviation for Product Information Management. The purpose of a PIM system is to ensure the company's ability to manage large quantities of complex product information and data. Additionally, a PIM system can distribute these informations efficiently to all relevant sales channels. Product Information Management (PIM), is about taking complete control over all your product data, including the processes in relation to handling product data.
Examples of product data that can be managed by a PIM system:
- Product specifications
- Images and videos
- Sales- and Marketingtexts (multiple languages)
- Product relations (e.g.: accessories, spareparts, replacements, "this also fits", etc.)
- SEO data
- Channel specific data (special data to be used in a certain channel e.g. e-commerce, catalogues, APPs, etc.)
- Market data (Market specific data, either by law or country)
Examples of product processes which can be managed by a PIM system:
- The process for creating new products
- The process for enriching new products with data
- Controlling the translation processes
- Auto generation of SEO-data
- The process for handling images (from ordering to publication)
- Approval of product data (in an omni-channel-setup)
- The publication of PIM-data in channels (E.g.: web, e-commerce, catalogues, apps, etc.)
- Management of processes related to campaigns: banner ads, commercials, instore, etc.
Contact me, for more information about PIM systems
Lets chat about PIM with no strings attached, and find out what PIM can do for your business.
CEO & Owner - PICOPUBLISH
Centralize product data with PIM
With a Product Information Management solution, companies can collect product data to be managed centrally. The central PIM management provides highly rewarding benefits such as:
- Great overview of all data (The PIM system provides an amazingly structured view of all your product data, due to all data being shown across variations (numbers, texts, images, files, etc.)
- Easy access to all products data, for both internal and external users.
- Central overview over data quality (missing data quality can be visually flagged by "traffic lights" within the PIM system)
- Manage corrections through user access and history.
- Overview over products across sales channels (e.g.: E-commerce, catalogues, campaigns, apps, etc.)
Manage all product processes with PIM
A PIM system optimizes all processes related to product enrichment, efficiently and centrally. Larger and more complex companies benefit more from PIM than smaller companies. This effect can always be measured on these parameters:
Management of all product processes from "cradle" to "grave"
Management of which data is missing on their respective products
Fast access to user data "Which products needs to be completed?
Time-to-market is greatly reduced, as managing the product data in relation to onboarding, handling, maintenance and distribution is optimized with a PIM system.
Increased conversion rate due to higher data quality (errors in product data grow trust issues to both product and company)
Omni-channel overview (which products/data is used in different channels)
PIM greatly reduce expenses when launching new products, as all demands for data is visibly represented in the system. Both need to have and nice to have.
Product Information Management reduces expenses related to copywriters and translators.
Gain Perfect overview across languages with a PIM system
With a PIM-system you are able to get a hold of all the company's language differentiated product- and market data. PIM optimizes your language processes by:
- Generating overview over, which products/data that needs translations
- Supports automated translation through e.g. AI or translation services.
- Auto generate a data feed with "source" and "target" language (translation from "source" to "target")
- Reuse translations across all channels
- Greatly reducing the expense/time consumed on translations
- Translate and standardize multiple definitions once and for all
- Perfect for auto generating language differentiated texts and descriptions: SEO-texts, product lists, product hierarchies, etc.
Beat the competition and support your omni-channel-strategy with PIM
Product Information Management realizes any omni-channel-strategy, by sending targeted channel data to the many channels/touch points of the company. Here's how a PIM system supports your business:
- Overview across channels
- Overview over products in and across channels
- Centralizing channel data
- Distributing targeted channel data
- Dynamic maintenance of channel data
- Overview over channel data processes
- Central management and administration of channel data (Through user access in PIM you ensure that the right employee maintains the right aspects of the data)
Standard PIM results in standard ERP
The data foundation in a company is ERP and PIM. Within the ERP-system all transactional data is centralized. Transactional data is the data you use to complete all internal processes (from offer to delivery). Within PIM, all product data is centralized. Product data is the data needed for selling the product (Technical specifications, descriptions, images, videos, drawings, etc.). PIM "cleanses" ERP for expensive special adaptions. Bringing the ERP platform closer to standard.
PicoPublish have helped companies optimize their ERP through more than 60 PIM implementaions across Europe. This have given us extensive knowledge and a belief that standard ERP and standard PIM is by far the best data foundation. An experience that also gives the following advantages:
- Great reduction in expenses when upgrading ERP
- Minimum expenses when migrating from old ERP system to new
- Great reduction in expenses related to product maintenance
- More dynamic setup, and better time-to-market, when new demands for data emerges
- Fewer integrations between ERP and other systems (CMS, CRM etc)
- Perfect platform when merging with or acquiring a new company where ERP systems and products need to be combined
PIM fuels your growth strategy
The implementation of a PIM solution realizes your growth strategy. PIM liberates, through optimization and structuring product data. The result is more ressources available in the organization, which provides room for executing the growth strategy. Product Information Management contributes especially in these areas:
- Support for new markets and languages, with one click, it is possible to generate data for new markets and languages.
- New products can quickly be tested in a new market (e.g. with a targeted datafeed to: Facebook, Amazon, etc.)
- By sending targeted data to a new dealer or distributor of your products.
- By providing overview and supporting the unique requirements for data across market places
- By speeding up the release of new products through efficient management of product data
- By securing a better customer experience through targeted market data.
- By supporting marketing with targeted data feeds